Thursday, October 20, 2011

"Tools That Change the Way We Think."

The Internet, and technology in general have really changed how people learn and think today. When my parents were in school, and they wanted to find out more information on a topic, they didn't have Google at their fingertips. They had to go and find some sort of reading material on the subject, and look it up "the long way." Now, when I have a question about something, one of two thoughts come to my head: Either, "I'm going to Google this when I get the chance," or, "I'm going to ChaCha this on my phone, because I'm to lazy to get online and look for myself." We have so much information that is, "just a click away." But now I'm learning of new walls that I need to overcome... such things as algorithims and filter bubbles, and this kind of stops my love for the Internet, or at least makes me question it. When I think of people talking about the Internet, I think of the phrase "broadening our minds to all the information that's out there." That's all that people would talk about when the Internet first came to be. And now all to come and find out that we don't have ALL of the information... just what our math equation supplies us with. I enjoyed a quote from Google Co-Founder Sergey Brin said in the article: "Right now you go into your computer and type a phrase, but you can imagine that it could be easier in the future, that you can have just devices you talk into, or you can have computers that pay attention to what's going on around them and suggest useful information." But is all this advancement in Google's effiency taking away some of the potential that the Internet has?

No comments:

Post a Comment